Thursday, April 15, 2010

Training Ride - Tax Day

Today is the dreaded day for many people because your taxes are due. Since I didn't start doing my own taxes until two years, thanks dad, I really don't mind tax day. It doesn't stress me out because to be honest, I don't make enough money for the IRS to really give a hoot about me. I'm sure that someday - scratch that, I really hope that someday I make enough for the government to care that I begrudgingly gave them 35% of what i was suppose to make that year. Enough will all this downer talk... onto the cycling.

Tax Day's Eve:
I have great day yesterday after work getting my ass handed to me on the hills of Grandview by my co-work "Captain Bryan Ohio" on his noble orange steed. I was able to hold on pretty well, but I definitely do not have my climbing legs. I was hitting my LT about half way up the hill and around 170 HR. I did save a little for the 8th and final trip up the hill and was able to beat Captain Bryan Ohio once. I did a bit more cycling after a few enchiladas and some very girl margaritas.

Tax Day:
At the onset of the today's ride I wasn't sure what to do. I'm planning on doing a long training ride on Saturday morning and I did hill the day before, but I wasn't sore enough to justify a recovery ride. So I went into TimeTrial Mode. For those of you who are not familiar, time trials are an all out effort for a set course and it's just you versus the clock. My folks were kind enough to get me a sweet Garmin Edge 605 for Christmas so I can track all types of cool things. I still really only know how to turn it on and reset it, but for the time being... that's all I need.

I was feeling a bit sore from the day before but not too bad. I went lactic on my first part of the ride down to the Olantangy Trail, and then recovered a bit and my legs were feeling pretty good. The trail was absolutely packed with special people today. All blinded by the beauty of the day and the sunshine, but that gave me an opportunity to work on my handling as I weaved through them. As I approached Antrim park I was feeling like I had a lot left so I decided to do the full trail out to Hills Mark on the other side of 270 on 315. I made it out there from my door in 48 minutes and 34 seconds (ave of 16.1 which included stop lights and traffic). I was pumped, that is the fastest I have ever done that ride. My goal at that point was to make it back before a total time of 1 hour 27 minutes and 8 seconds. I didn't hit my mark, but I was close... very close. All and all it was a good ride, a little buggy by the river, but no free bug dinners.

This was a long one, so I think I'll wait until Saturday to post again. Spread the word if you like what you read and if not, I'll try my best to have something a bit more entertaining on here in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment